OUR STORY

My photo
Jody and I have been married for 6 years now! We live a simple life, but it's a happy life. We've been blessed with our sweet Elsie who we adore each and every day. Here's to a blog of thoughts, memories, and who are we kidding, lots of Elsie!!
"People don't always remember what you say... They remember how you make them feel"

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

One word to a million!

Elsie's speech has been a big concern for me for some time. When she was just a baby, she didn't roll over right away, but learned to sit up instead. At 6 months she wasn't crawling, but started walking at 9 1/2 months. I always told myself they all do different things, at different times, and that is okay. I was always assured she was "fine" because she ended up doing something else to prove she was on the right track. 

Then 18 months came.. Nothing new had really happened. Still walking, and not a lot of talking. She didn't know too many words, and the words she did know were anything but English. She babbled and babbled all day long, but never would even try to repeat words or show any interest. I started to get concerned. 

Then she turned 2.. She knew a few more words and a few more became more clear, but still not where she needed to be. I was starting to get really nervous at this point, and even switched doctors to seek some help about the issue. He didn't make me feel much better really, said to give it a little more time and he referred me to a speech therapist to have her then evaluated. I kept telling myself, she'll get there. She understood everything I told her to do, which brought some comfort, but I still doubted her efforts and my efforts as a mother. 

I'm so HAPPY and so relieved now to say we have made it so far. Since she has turned 2, her words have gone to 2 clear words to what seems like a million. She has learned so many letters of the alphabet, her colors are almost there, and a few shapes! Her words have become so much more clear and she is constantly asking little questions. It's been lots of fun hearing all she has to say, makes some of those long hard days worth it when she comes in and says "wuv you mama!" I've waited 2 years to hear that, and it melts my heart every time!

I'm grateful for the little spirit that she is. She is a perfect fit for our family and I hope we can be that for her as parents. She's our everything!! 



No comments: